Register a Foreign LLC New York

New York Foreign LLC Certificate Of Authority

If you own a limited liability company out of state, it is known as a foreign LLC to the New York Division of Corporations. For a foreign LLC doing business in New York, you will need a Certificate of Authority from the New York Division of Corporations — this grants the LLC foreign qualification. If you’ve got the gumption, you can use our guide below to register your own Foreign LLC in New York. If you want to hire a professional to get it done quickly and accurately, then that’s our bread and butter. All without suckering you into huge fees like them other guys.

The first thing you should do is see if a New York Foreign LLC is right for you.

Do I Need A Foreign LLC In New York?

An LLC that was formed in any other state that wants to transact business in New York through any “nexus” will need to qualify as a Foreign LLC. In true New York fashion, it all comes down to taxes. You can find the exact legal statue in §801-§809 of the state legislature, but in most cases you will need to either have a New York LLC or file for a Foreign LLC if you have any of the following in New York:

  • Significant storage (i.e. a warehouse, or distribution hub)
  • An office
  • A storefront
  • Salesperson(s) that conduct business in the state

Do-It-Yourself Foreign
Business Registration

Foreign LLC Formation Package: $399

You can always choose to form your business yourself. We get it. You’ll save a little dough that way. If that’s what you choose to do, you can just hire us to be your registered agent.



We’ll register your foreign LLC in New York for you, and provide you with everything you need to keep your business in good standing with the state:

  • Registered agent service
  • Secure online account
  • Free mail forwarding
  • Biennial report notifications
  • Ongoing support

How to Register A New York Foreign LLC Yourself

Looking to save some money? You can file your Foreign LLC Application for Authority yourself. To do so, you must submit the same documents mentioned above:

  • New York Foreign LLC Application for Authority
  • Certificate of Existence/Good Standing from Your Home State

A Certificate of Existence/Good Standing is generally obtained from your local Secretary of State office. It must be dated within one year.

When filling out your Application for Authority, be aware that there are numerous restricted or prohibited words and phrases that cannot be used as part of your LLC name. In addition, the name of your company must include one of the following: “Limited Liability Company,” “LLC” or “L.L.C.” If your name does not conform to these specific laws, you will need to select a fictitious name for use in New York that does.

Once your Application is complete, you must mail it or deliver it to the following address:

Department of State
Division of Corporations, State Records and UCC
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Ave.
Albany, NY 12231-0001