90 State St. Suite 700 Office 40, Albany, NY, 12207 | (518) 533-5459

Foreign NY LLC Certificate of Authority

If you have an LLC in another state, it is considered a foreign LLC. In order to do business in the State of New York, you must file the appropriate documents with the NY Division of Corporations.

Our NY Foreign Registration Process

  1. Sign Up for NY Registered Agent Service

    Once you are our New York registered agent service client, you will have instant access to your client portal. In your account, you can find every New York business filing you will ever need to operate your business and keep your LLC compliant.

  2. Order a NY LLC Application for Authority

    Select your New York LLC Application for Authority and add it to your filing order. This is the document that registers your foreign LLC to do business in New York.

  3. Order Foreign Registration

    Our filing team will obtain a Certificate of Existence (or Certificate of Good Standing) from your home state and file it along with your Foreign LLC Application for Authority. Both of these documents must be submitted for registration (if you already have a valid current Certificate of Existence/Good Standing, we can use this document instead of getting another).

How to Register Your Foreign LLC Yourself

Looking to save some money? You can file your Foreign LLC Application for Authority yourself. To do so, you must submit the same documents mentioned above:

A Certificate of Existence/Good Standing is generally obtained from your local Secretary of State office. It must be dated within one year.

When filling out your Application for Authority, be aware that there are numerous restricted or prohibited words and phrases that cannot be used as part of your LLC name. In addition, the name of your company must include one of the following: Limited Liability Company, LLC or L.L.C. If your name does not conform to these specific laws, you will need to select a fictitious name for use in New York that does.

Once your Application is complete, you must mail it or deliver it to the following address:

Department of State
Division of Corporations, State Records and UCC
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Ave.
Albany, NY 12231-0001